Sunday, July 27, 2008

Like Father...Like Son!




So, if any of you know Jeff, you know that he is a bit addicted to the thrill of riding motorcycles. He began this addiction a little over six years ago. I don't know the exact date, however I do know that it all started the day after I told him I was pregnant with Parker. That was the day he bought his first motorcycle. I remember he brought it home one evening and spent hours out in the garage that night with it. I knew I was in trouble, forget having to compete with another woman for my husband's attention. I was going to have to compete with a motorcycle???!!! I have to admit, I hated everything thing about that bike. I hated that he loved riding so much. I hated that if he had any free time, he would just want to ride for awhile. I hated that he was making new friends at the track. I hated that he ate and drank anything involved with it. I actually think I hated him for awhile. I began to resent him and the bike and I was angry. One day (maybe a year or two or three down the road), to make a long story short and leaving out gory details, I came to terms with it. I actually asked him if the kids and I could join him at the track one day. He was thrilled! He had asked in the past and I always came up with an excuse not to go, blamed it on the kids, the house not being cleaned, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I actually had a good time and the kids loved it! We got dirty and hot, but had a blast. What was even more thrilling to me, was to see Jeff so excited that his family was with him, that I was there with him. From then on, we have integrated this crazy sport into our lives. We have had some fun times!! Jeff and I have traveled to different states to some of the Supercross races. We've spent weekends camping so Jeff could race in some of the local races. And with all of that, Parker has become a bit addicted to the sport. Jeff picked up a couple of 50's (the small motos) in the past hoping maybe the girls would ride. They did for a little bit, but got bored. Parker on the other hand, loved being around the bikes since he was little. They never scared him. He loved to get rides with Jeff on his and when he was big enough to ride one himself, he was ecstatic. Last summer we took the training wheels off for him because he was actually tall enough to touch the ground with his feet. He got on the bike and has been loving it since. He's been getting to go to the track with Jeff a little bit this summer and he loves it. I just dread the day when he asks to race for the first time!!



Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Leslie said...

How's AWESOME!

Janel said...

Parker is such a cutie!! He was such a little sweetheart when I babysat him--all your kids are :) I need to invite you to my blog--it's private now--send me your email address when you have a minute, mine is: azure1973@yahoo.com

Jenny H said...

Parker is a doll. I am glad he loves riding with Jeff. He will treasure those times spent with his dad when he grows up!

Taylor Family said...

Wow, you're better than me. I told Mark that single life was his time to have risk taking fun. Once he had a family it was time for safer fun. I would panic if he had a bike. It sure is nice to find something you enjoy as a family.

Julie Keddington said...

I clearly remember those motorcycle hating days! Parker looks so big now, especially in his moto duds. I sure miss seeing you. We really do need to get together sometime soon.

Sara said...

Tami, you are an amazing wife and mother! Im so glad that this has turned out to be such a fun thing for your family!

The Hardy's said...

I love that kid! Parks, you rock! I can't wait to be able to see you ride. Stop growing up so fast.