Saturday, October 3, 2009

Pie...umm, ummm, GOOD!

Ok, so I have a confession to make. I haven't really eaten pie, ever. Maybe, not ever. Well, except just recently. (story to come)I have been afraid of pie. Now, I really like ice cream pie, but does that count? I don't know if it's the crust thing...have I been afraid of the crust? could be. I like oreo and graham cracker crusts, I've had those with the ice cream pie... Is the the fruit thing? maybe that too. It just doesn't seem right to eat warm fruit, in my mind fruit needs to be chilled. I have also stayed away from cobblers too, same reason, I think.

The pie introduction: A few weeks ago, a very good friend of mine called and left a message that she had made a pie for me for my birthday and for me to give her a call when I got home because she wanted to bring it by. Well, some of you know how pathetic I am at checking my messages on my home phone, so I didn't pick my messages up until the following day. I gave Brandice a call back, we had a great conversation and chatted for awhile. She had told me that her husband had dug into the pie later that same day because I hadn't got back to them. He didn't want the pie to go "bad", but we know deep down he was pretty bummed in the first place because no pie was being made for their families, just as gifts for me and another friend. She told me that she was going to make me another one and bring it over. It really meant so much to me that she would think of me and do something like that for me, I have never made a pie, but I do know they they take ALOT of work. I couldn't break her the news and tell her that I wasn't a pie person. I kept my mouth shut, and now gratefully so.

A couple days later she and Mike came by and dropped off by the pie and it just looked so pretty, but I felt so bad because I just didn't "do" pie. I should have let her know, but I just couldn't. She said that she had planned on doing a strawberry pie, but had to add some rasberries because some strawberries had been confiscated by an unnamed child. :D
 
(I didn't think to take picture before we dug in)

As soon as the two of them left, Jeff couldn't wait but to dive in. He grabbed a slice and started eating. He went crazy over it, he couldn't stop talking about how wonderful it was. I just had to try it, just give it a chance. So, I asked for a bite. I just didn't know if I was ready for a whole slice. I took a bite, and it was WONDERFUL! I grabbed my own plate and got my own slice and enjoyed the savory, goodness of it all.
 
What had I done to myself? Here I am, 33 years old and I have negleted pie for all of these years. I have to admit, it's almost criminal. I will change my bad habits and move forward. I'm actually looking forward to Thanksgiving this year. Dessert time at Thanksgiving has never been real exciting for me because it always pie, but this year will be different!

Brandice, please don't hate me for not telling you. Thank you for opening my eyes (and stomach) to the awesomeness of pie. You are so thoughtful to take the time and do something like that for me. It truly meant alot!

6 comments:

Leslie said...

That's so AWESOME...welcome to the world of fruit pies eaters!

Brandice said...

Grow some guts, woman!

Especially on the second try. Hello, you could have CERTAINLY told me you weren't a "pie person". I would have made you bread! Ha-ha. I'm sure that I wrongly assume sometimes that people like what I cook, so I tend to gravitate toward the food gifts, but puh-leeeeeese... It makes me laugh that you didn't say anything. Mostly because if Mike had known he would have been WAY MAD! Giving Jeff YOUR birthday pie when Mike could have eaten it instead? Oh my gosh!

You crack me up, lady. Glad you liked the pie. "Maybe" I will make you another one sometime. But while we're on the subject, do you have anything to say about the sweet mustard sauce I brought over to you earlier?

love you Tam... hope you had a nice birthday. :)

Tami Harris said...

We LOVE the mustard! We've been lucky to get it before. Please don't quit making things for me, everything you make is good!!

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

Oh Tami - that is the funniest story - I still can't believe you hadn't had pie, but I kind of get it because I am not a big crust fan - I just like the toppings..

Jessica O. said...

I love Pie. I'm sorry you have never tried it. Although I think it is good you started out with a good homemade pie instead of a nasty store bought pie. This is the second time this week I've heard about Brandice's pie. I think I need to talk to her. Funny story!

Julie Keddington said...

I, too, tend to gravitate toward ice cream pie or cookie crusts. But, Brandice's strawberry pie is FABULOUS! She made me one when I had a baby and I couldn't get enough of it. When I came home on Sunday from St. George I found a strawberry pie in my fridge waiting and ready to reward me for 26.2 miles! What a thoughtful friend! I must say I have been a little greedy with it and have eaten most of it myself. I'm justifying it by counting all of the calories I burned on Saturday. Tami, if I ever am thoughtful enough to make you something you can tell me if you don't really like it...By the way, Happy Birthday! I'm sorry I missed it!